Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Up..Up..and Away

It has happened to us all when we were kids and has happened to our kids or will. We go out side with out new balloon in hand and without think let go. There it goes up..up..and away into the air.

You stand and watch as long as you can till you can't see it any more. Some kids scream till they get a new one and some don't even get a new one and just scream. It is one of the worst things that could ever happen to you as a kid. Right?

Did you ever wonder where that balloon would actually end up? When you were a kid did you ever participate in a contest where you tied your name onto the balloon and if the place holding the contest got a call about your balloon you won? Did you ever just put your name and phone # on a balloon anyway just to see where it would end up or if someone would find it? We did this several times. I am sure Thomas has no recollection of this but we did the contest at grandma's one year or maybe 2 years. I think it was a 2 because I was so excited about it the next year. We never won, nobody ever found my balloon or at least that I know of. I am sure we couldn't do that today with all the crazy people out there but it still would be fun to do.

Fast forward 20 + years.

Now that Chris is working most nights I am home alone the majority of the evenings. This used to bother me but it doesn't as much any more plus Kona is there too. 2 Sunday nights ago I was sitting on the couch watching Amazing Race. I was completely into it and all of the sudden Kona is looking out the back window growling. Not just a little, "hello, hello" she was hair standing growling. Now I knew she wasn't growling at the cats they were in the garage and when she see's the neighborhood raccoons she just barks at them. I actually freaked out and froze on the couch for a full minute not wanting to move wondering what to do. I slowly peaking around the corner thinking maybe it was a raccoon and she didn't like them being in the back. I didn't see anything. Looking a little closer I saw something move on the patio but it was low to the ground. I kind of figured being that little and low to the ground it wasn't a person. Since it wasn't a person I decided to get up a look.

Yep it was some kids Happy Birthday Mylar balloon.

That is where they end up. In some random persons backyard dancing around, while their dog is ready to attack and they are scared out of their mind.

Funny part when I brought it in to pop it she wouldn't stop growling at it. After I put it in the garbage can she kept staring at the garbage can like it was going to pop back out of the garbage. I love her!

No comments: