Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Traditions

For the last 2 weeks I have been thinking I should blog more since it is the end of the year. I keep making a list of ideas and I am sure I have at least 60 days worth of blogs I just get busy and think of other things to do when I get home. I am going to try and do as many as I can in a row before I run out of topics. Today's topic, traditions.

I was talking to Mom today about a conversation she had with a friend. They were talking about Christmas traditions they used to have with their families when their kids were little and now it is time for those kids to move on and have their own Christmas traditions with their families. One of our family traditions was getting a Christmas tree. We would get up on a Saturday or Sunday morning go to McDonald's for breakfast and go get our tree. The sad part, I actually forgot about this tradition until Mom mentioned it. I hate to say it but over the years I have become a holiday I don't look forward to. Today I think I finally pin pointed what it was. Traditions.

As Mom and her friend we discussing all their children have gown up and have their own traditions now. They go and get their trees as families with their kids. Some may go to breakfast, some may make a day of it, some may go to the woods to get their tree. Some families make gingerbread houses with their kids and some will make cookies. On Christmas day they wake up with their kids and open presents and go about their day. I tried to think what Christmas tradition do Chris and I have...........We don't. Some years we get a tree some years we don't. Some years we decorate some years we don't. The only real tradition we have had is where we spend Christmas day. One year we spend it with my family and the next year we will spend it with Chris' family.

I think I need to come up with a Christmas tradition. I guess I am going to have to come up with one in 10 days.

1 comment:

Pensive1 said...

I totally agree with you T. My mom raising 2 kids on her own we had little money for christmas so we relied on our traditions.

Here are a few you can borrow of ours. :)
1) Tree lighting downtown. We go for a starbucks coffee, then sit out side, listen to the carrols (Sp?) and see the tree lighting.
2)Christmas Cookie Baking Day. More time and effort spent then the price of the ingrediens.
3) Family Ornament exchange, where we shop all over for a great but inexpensive ornament then do a "stealing white elephant move" with it.
4) a night get together to watch "A Christmas Story" or whichever one (recently been elf).

I am thankful for the reminder because we have gotten away from our traditions with the loss of grandparents, moves, etc. We need to re-establish some or make new ones with the current conditions :) THANK YOU FOR the reminder!!!

Can't wait for more of your blogs!!!