Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mushrooming....

Every year Chris' parents go mushrooming. I never really knew what this meant. I just assumed they went and got mushrooms. Didn't know where they got them how they knew the right ones that were edible. I knew that such mushrooms existed and his Mom canned them every year. I have always been interested and going we just have never really found the time to go.

Last weekend Chris went fishing with his Dad while I went to the Verbort Sausage Festival with my Mom and a quick stop at Plum Hill (see we love this place). On their way home from fishing he stopped a picked a bunch of mushrooms at Brown's Camp. I loved them so much I wanted to go now so we could get some to can.

Saturday morning we got up kind of just laid around then decided we were going.

Once we got there, Chris showed me what they looked like, what I was looking for and where to look, then off we went. With in minutes we had a bunch and kept finding more. I kept getting excited yelling, "I found one, wait I found 5!"

It was like a mini treasure hunt for me without the map leading me to the treasure. After 3 or 4 hours we figured we had enough and were going to head home and get a few other errands done that we need to do.

We were relaxing talking about how much fun it was and all the sudden I was convincing Chris we should go back again today. So we got up early, cleaned all our mushrooms from yesterday, stopped at Mc Donald's in North Plains and off to Browns Camp we went.

After a couple hours and a few different stops we found about half of what we found yesterday but still enough end up with 12 1/2 pints canned and in the pantry for us to enjoy.

It was a great weekend just the 2 of us and Kona.

Today for Saturday and Sunday I am thankful for Oregon having amazing Chanterelle Mushrooms, the beauty of the Oregon Coast range and the good time Chris, Kona and I had the last 2 days experiencing all of it.

No comments: