Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Shoes

I have known for a while I needed new shoes.  Rule of thumb for anyone who runs a lot or distance runs you should usually replace your shoes every 3 months.  Since I didn't really consider myself a distance runner or a runner I never really thought of it and thought once a year was just fine.  Wrong.

At the end of January I had a trade show in Anaheim.  I ran a couple times while I was down there and noticed my knee hurting a little more each time I ran.  But it didn't stick around it only hurt when I was running.  It would go away within a couple hours or by the next day.  I tried everything people told me to do.  Short of getting new shoes and going to the doctor.  Till I went to do a long run with Erin and my knee started hurting like nothing I could explain.  I was sure I had done damage to my knee.  Finally I  listened and called Kaiser.  I was lucky and got in the that week.  Even luckier I got a doctor who liked running so her answer wasn't just quit.  After a series of test she told me nothing was wrong.  My knee was just over used.  Too much, too fast.  What I felt like I wasn't running enough and not far at all.  But I guess from someone who went from not running at all to running 3-4 times a week and then trying to throw random 4-6 miles in could be a lot in oh 2 months.  ;-) Her suggestion, rest, new shoes and interval running.

I rested, which was hard to do and finally went to RoadRunner Sports to get new shoes.  If you have never been I suggest going.  It is kind of a fun experience.  They ask you a series of questions, watch you run, check your balance, make sole inserts and then you test as many shoes as you would like untill you are confused completely confussed.

After they ask you your name and address they ask you if you are a runner or walker.....HMMMM I don't know I run a little and walk a little....."Ok, you are a runner!"

High Five Tara we are "officially" runners. 

I now have new shoes and I am now a runner. 

Saturday while I was in Lincoln City I put the shoes on and took them on a test run.  Not realizing that I ran out a mile straight downhill and had to run back straight uphill.  No knee pain.  I ran twice this week and feeling great.  Saturday will be the true test.

The Shoes


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you Taneha. I went to RoadRunner (at Erin's insistence) when I began this whole running thing. The folks at RR were great. Bought the insoles for my shoes and have never had any pain. Happy to hear you're headed in the right direction!